A small electrical fire broke out in a professor’s office in the Kravis Center at Claremont McKenna College around 8 p.m. Thursday, officials said. It was quickly contained, and no one was injured.
The blaze was started by an electrical short in a thermostat and caused minor damage, CMC spokesperson Peter Hong said in an email to the CMC community. The professor was not in the office at the time.
CMC Public Safety and Facilities responded to the fire alarm and quickly put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, Hong said. About 20 people exited the building.
Firefighters also arrived on scene and were seen walking through the building around 8:30 p.m. The fire alarm stopped going off around 8:40 p.m., and fire personnel subsequently left campus.
The Kravis Center will re-open Friday morning for regular use, Hong said.
Meghan Bobrowsky SC ’21 is a politics major from Davis, California. She previously served as TSL’s editor-in-chief, managing editor, life & style editor and video editor.