Small electrical fire quickly contained in professor’s office in CMC’s Kravis Center

Firefighters responding to a fire at CMC
Firefighters responded to a small electrical fire in a professor’s office in the Kravis Center at Claremont McKenna College on Thursday evening. (Mabel Lui • The Student Life)

A small electrical fire broke out in a professor’s office in the Kravis Center at Claremont McKenna College around 8 p.m. Thursday, officials said. It was quickly contained, and no one was injured.

The blaze was started by an electrical short in a thermostat and caused minor damage, CMC spokesperson Peter Hong said in an email to the CMC community. The professor was not in the office at the time.

CMC Public Safety and Facilities responded to the fire alarm and quickly put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, Hong said. About 20 people exited the building.

Firefighters also arrived on scene and were seen walking through the building around 8:30 p.m. The fire alarm stopped going off around 8:40 p.m., and fire personnel subsequently left campus.

The Kravis Center will re-open Friday morning for regular use, Hong said.

Advertisements
Facebook Comments
Advertisements

Meghan Bobrowsky

Meghan Bobrowsky SC '21 is a politics major from Davis, California. She is currently a managing editor at TSL and previously served as a life & style editor and video editor.

Advertisements
Advertisements